Work In Progress

Next update is in the works...

It's been a bit since I posted information here, so felt I should update everyone on where I am in terms of the next update to iSlideRule.

I was working on the layout and method of selecting positions for the various scales on each rule and had a design that I thought would work well. I got it partially implemented and was using it, and realized that it was not a very effective or user-friendly way to do the selections. For only doing one set of rules, it wasn't too bad, but with multiple views for each rule, the design quickly became difficult and confusing to use. That told me that the design I was working on was not the correct way to do the selection of scales and positioning.

So; I'm back to working on a design that WILL work easily and seamlessly. This type of design work takes some serious thought on several fronts. What controls and UI elements does the iPhone have that can be used to perform these tasks? How do they interact with one another? Is there a better way or more optimal approach to take? Suffice to say, I'm definitely working on something... and I'm leaning to moving all the settings into the application itself since changing of scales within the app, and color scheme, etc. can and probably should be done from within the application, allowing the changes to be immediately seen.

As I proceed, I'll post more information as to what direction I'm taking on the ability to position the scales within the various rules, and views. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a wonderful, joyous, and safe holiday season!

Merry Christmas and Have a Happy New Year!
-Steve
|

1.0.3 update in progress

Well, 1.0.2 is out and available to all customers now. So; next? I'm working on the 1.0.3 update at this time. This update will have fewer changes than the previous update, but a they are important.

I'm updating a few of the scale graphics to correct an error on one scale (incorrect number on one label), and to add some kerning space on the scales with a lot of smaller numbers on them. The numbers tended to run together, and could look better (and be a bit easier to read).

Additionally, I'm changing the movement algorithm on the touch-move-other scales feature that I added in the 1.0.2 update. One of my customers suggested that instead of movement based on the current offset of the scale being touched (a 50/50 split), that perhaps I could use the location of the touch (left or right) and move the opposing scale in that direction. This actually makes so much more sense than what I first implemented that it was really time to just slap myself and go "DOH!" I really shouldn't add features when I'm tired or not quite thinking right. :-) (Thanks for this suggestion Martin!)

Finally, I noticed a slight "sticking" feature in the cursor movement when scrolling the bars and slide to the right with the cursor all the way over to the left. I missed one "cancel" of the movement on having the touch end, so I'm fixing that in 1.0.3.

After I get this update out; the next update won't be out for a while as I work through, and re-tool the application to use flipped views for the "triplex" rule concept I mentioned in an earlier message. This will take some time to put together as I'll also need to completely rework how I do application preferences, and deal with the "Settings" application. That update is now tentatively numbered "1.1.0".

In other news...
I was taking a break last night and found an interesting link on the Macworld website.

Check out:
http://www.macworld.com/article/133827/2008/06/ihnatko_iphone_store.html

It appears that Andy Ihnatko is looking for an iPhone slide rule app. I would hope that he would take a look at mine. Maybe it would suit his requirements. :-) I've read Andy's columns for some time now. Always a good read.



|

1.0.2 update in progress

I am currently busy at updating iSlideRule, using the feedback and email comments I have received. In the 1.0.2 update, I'll have new scale graphics that include π guage marks, and the graphics will be smaller in terms of storage size (resulting in a slightly smaller download), but longer in terms of rule size. In the 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 update, the scales are ~1400 pixels wide. Given a resolution of 72 pixels per inch, this is like a 19.5" wide rule. I experimented with making 2400 pixel wide graphics, but settled on a size of 1900 pixels (equivalent of approximately 26" wide rules). Additionally, I'll be adding a few new scales in the 1.0.2 update (CIF and DIF for example, along with others).

In the 1.0.1 update, I widened the cursor from its original 1.0.0 width of 45 pixels, to a 65 pixel wide cursor. This was in response to feedback that was concerned about insufficient width in the cursor and inadvertent touches resulting in slide or top/bottom rule movements.

A "feature" that showed up as part of the work in the 1.0.1 update that I'm working to correct is that the rule and slide can separate when moved to opposite ends. In the 1.0.1 update, I added blank space at the end of the rules in the view so that the rules could be moved to the right somewhat, instead of being locked to the left side. I'm working to reduce or eliminate the separation in 1.0.2.
|